Cemeteries & Crematoria - Page 2

Newport Cemetery

The 1st Interment to take place in this cemetery: May 11th 1858.

Newport Cemetery was opened by Newport Borough Council with some input by the Royal Estate at Osborne in 1858 and later put under the control of Medina Borough Council 1974.

In 1995 the Isle of Wight Council took ownership of the cemetery in 1995 who still manage it today.

 

Location:

 

St Pauls Cemetery

The 1st Interment to take place in this cemetery: July 19th 1899.

This cemetery as originally opened 1899 as an extension to St Pauls Churchyard, Barton.

The cemetery is now full apart from existing burial rights.

In 1995 the Isle of Wight Council took ownership of the cemetery in 1995 who still manage it today.

 

Location:

 

Northwood Cemetery

The 1st Interment to take place in this cemetery: November 8th 1856.

This is the second largest Cemetery on the Isle of Wight. Northwood was opened to cater for Northwood, St Mary’s Cowes and Holy Trinity Churchyards which were full.

The land in which the cemetery is sited was originally part of the Ward estates.

This cemetery is a fine example of a Victorian cemetery layout, well planted with Victorian varieties of trees, with twin chapels. The chapels were fully restored in 2017 through funding from the Heritage Lottery.

The cemetery has a cemetery friends group The Friends of Northwood Cemetery that where paramount in securing the lottery bid to have the chapels restored to their former glory.

 

Location:

 

Ryde Cemetery

The 1st Interment to take place in this cemetery: December 2nd 1862.

The cemetery was officially opened in 1842 making Ryde Cemetery older than any of the Island’s other municipal cemeteries

In 2010 the Isle of Wight Council carried out extensive restoration work in Ryde Cemetery in conjunction with the Heritage Lottery Fund

All three chapels were restored and a Heritage and Learning Centre was created in one of the two central chapels; new railings and gates, in a Victorian Style, were installed at the Pellhurst Road entrance as the originals had been removed to help with the war effort during the second world war; new wooden gates were installed at the West Street entrance, the central driveway

and area surrounding the central chapels were improved; much of the boundary wall was repointed and some of the significant graves were restored.

There are two volunteer groups present in the cemetery:

  • The Friends of Ryde Cemetery
  • Ryde Social Heritage Group

 

Location:

 

Sandown Cemetery

The 1st Interment to take place in this cemetery: June 11th 1926.

Formerly administer by the Urban District Council then amalgamated with Sandown and Shanklin UDC, then the South Wight Borough Council and taken over by the Isle of Wight Council in 1995

 

Location:

 

1     3